Monday, June 15, 2009

Maine Fiber Frolic

It's about time I try to catch up on all the things I've wanted to blog about lately. I'll start with some fibery goodness... the Maine Fiber Frolic. It was last weekend, June 6-7, in Windsor. I didn't think I would be able to go, but then we just sort of happened to be in the area... no really. We were headed to Lake St. George to canoe and the road to Windsor just happened to be on the way there. I knew my guys really wouldn't care to go, but my husband insisted (isn't he sweet) so we went.

We were there about two hours before the end of the festival and I have to say it was the perfect time to be there. I don't know how it was for the rest of the weekend but by the time we got there, there was no crowd. The vendors were all sort of winding down but still had a great selection of yummy yarns. We caught the Maine Llama Drill Team doing their antics which was hilarious and entertaining for the whole family. We also ran in to our neighbor who was there with 4-H showing a Llama... small world!

I had fun looking through the goodies at the vendor stands. This was another thing about fiber festivals that is hard for me... restraint from buying as much as I can carry! I did alright though... I bought some amazingly soft alpaca yarn from Upper Farm Alpaca, luscious merino/cashmere/nylon sock yarn from String Theory, a sock kit from French Hill Farm, and one not-so-local yarn because I have been searching high and low for it... Kauni Effektgarn in the EQ (rainbow) colorway. I'm so excited to knit up my finds.

The best part of the festival was admiring all of the animals. I didn't really think that I'd be one to really ooh and aah over them, but they were all so cute and had such personality. By the time we left, my sons wanted to take a pygora goat home for a pet, and my husband was asking the farmers about start-up costs. Seriously... sometimes I wonder who these crazy people are. ;)

1 comment:

IowaKnitter said...

You raised them, kiddo (and yes, I mean hubby too). So what do you expect. Looks like you had a wonderful time; fibers sound really nummy.