Sunday, November 1, 2009

Socktober -- in November!

Happy November, folks! Can you believe it? The second to last month of the year! So much to reflect on... where did the time go? Time for parties, holidays, changing seasons... and another new year. It's not far off. Can't believe it!

Last month I was all excited about Socktober starting and I don't think I've mentioned it since! I've been off in my own world this month as far as being online. I haven't really been participating in message boards, blogging, facebook-ing or really anything. But I have been knitting.

I seriously lost interest in the mystery sock knit along last month. I just wasn't really feeling the pattern and my yarn choice that was pooling horribly. I didn't care to frog and start over. So I spent Socktober finishing off three pairs of socks that had been on my needles for long enough...

The first pair I finished are the Merino Lace Socks from the book Favorite Socks. I've had these on the needles since August. I really love the yarn -- The Woolen Rabbit Harmony sock yarn. It's a merino/nylon blend that is strong, soft and oh, so lovely. The colors look subdued, but really have quite the subtle variation which held my interest ... that's what I love the most about The Woolen Rabbit -- the semi-solid but still interesting colorways... my favorite. I also love that this yarn is from a talented dyer who lives about 45 minutes up the road from me. (Hi Ruth!)


Up next, I finished off the Lindsay socks from Cookie A's book Sock Innovation. I cast on the first sock back in May, knit it up quick and then just put it away. I wasn't feeling it. In the spirit of finishing things I got this one out and knit up the second sock and now I love them! I used Malabrigo Sock in the Ochre colorway which I bought at Purl Diva.


Lastly, I finished my Mountain Colors socks. I used the Oak Ribbed sock from Nancy Bush's book Knitting Vintage Socks. I used Bearfoot yarn which is one of my all time favorite sock yarns. The blend of wool, mohair and nylon is so warm and cozy! I will warn you though, don't machine wash this sock yarn.. .it will felt. Maybe not the first time, but it will eventually. I think it's the mohair's natural tendency to fuzz and felt on itself. I bought this yarn at Shuttles, Spindles & Skeins in Boulder, Colorado this past summer.

My needles were empty yesterday!! It was a wonderful feeling to be able to start another pair of socks with nothing else on the needles. I cast on for a pair of Monkey socks by Cookie A. I think this is my sixth pair of Monkey's. I am using Dream in Color Smooshy which I don't know why I keep buying. I hate it. But I love the colors. The yarn feels like acrylic to me and it dries out my hands like acrylic, too. I vow not to buy any more Dream in Color... I do have one skein of Smooshy left in my stash which I'm going to knit up and then I'm breaking up with this yarn for good.

So that's it for my Socktober report! Now I'm off to bask in a little bit of quiet time... doing what else... knitting on my current sock.

3 comments:

CelticCastOn said...

well for being so quiet you sure got alot done :)
Love those Lindsay socks, I really need to invest in that book.

Knittripps said...

Nice socks!

essjay said...

Good for you for getting all those socks knit - great job! I hope everything is going well. I have my quiet moments too!