Thursday, September 9, 2010

Harrisville Designs



I live with a house full of boys. Most of our weekends are filled with outdoorsy activities that directly contrast with my favorite hobby: Knitting! You won't find me complaining though because I also love the great outdoors and all the fun that we have. But this past weekend I got to choose what we were going to to totally based on what I wanted to do. So, we took a little field trip over to Harrisville Designs in New Hampshire.

The drive took about five hours one way! But the drive... ohhh... it's spectacular! We drove through the White Mountains on the Kancamagus Highway (route 112) which is just stunning. It was a route through the mountains that we have not taken before, then we went through Concord which is a charming town and eventually wound our way through the woods to the tiny village of Harrisville.

Like many villages here in New England, it was like driving in to a scene set back in time. My boys all instantly took off in the opposite direction of the weaving studio and just let me take it all in. I did just sort of wander around the shop for a few minutes. I know it's cheesy but it was a bit of a spiritual experience. I could just feel the history, the creativity, the potential, the warmth shared in craft. It was an inspired space filled with inspiring yarns.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous!

DiscKnits said...

The second I save enough money, I am going to come out and visit all these wonderful places you post about.

Thea said...

I so have to get out to Harrisville! It looks amazing.

CelticCastOn said...

ohhhh i didn't know this place existed. I hope you brought home some yummies!

essjay said...

What a fantastic day trip! I totally get the "spiritual" experience of being some place historical! Thanks for sharing the pictures - they are great!

sUsAn said...

Oh it looks simply lovely!!! Enjoyed all the colors in your photos! Such richness!

Jane said...

five hours one way?! Did you drive home the same day? That would be me going to NYC for the day! My boys would go stir crazy! So glad you had a great day...it's rare that I get to choose around here.

Sarah said...

Will you adopt me?