Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Full Harvest Moon

I missed the full moon this month! It was on Sunday night...
Oct. 4, 2:10 a.m. EDT -- Full Harvest Moon. Traditionally, this designation goes to the full moon that occurs closest to the Autumnal (fall) Equinox. The Harvest Moon usually comes in September, but sometimes it will fall in early October as is the case in 2009; the next time won't come until 2017. At the peak of the harvest, farmers can work into the night by the light of this moon. Usually the full moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30 minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for much of Canada and Europe. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild rice -- the chief Indian staples -- are now ready for gathering.- via space.com
Note to self: full moon next month is on November 2.

2 comments:

essjay said...

The funny thing is that I actually did get a picture of it this month and normally I don't - you must have sent some vibes to me! Of course I caught it at 5:30AM Monday morning, but that still counts, right? Picture will be in my YIP post this weekend.

IowaKnitter said...

I was looking for the photo, especially after I pointed out the beautiful harvest moon to John. And yes, Sara, it was still beautiful Monday morning! I wonder why I'm so awe struck with a full moon.