Thursday, October 1, 2009

Happy Socktober

Ahh... fall. The chill in the air, the turning leaves, the warm sunny afternoons, the hot apple cider, the pumpkin patches and hay rides.... it's all so fun. But lets cut to the chase people... it's time for SOCKTOBERFEST! That means it is time for a month long celebration of knitted socks.

I've always sort of been known in my knitting group as being a bit of a fanatic when it comes to knitting socks. I'd say at least 75% of my knitting time is dominated by knitting socks. Ironically, I've gotten away from socks for a short while again but now I'm back in full swing.

One big reason why is that I was sorting out the good, the bad, and the ugly knitted socks out of their designated drawer in my dresser and I'm down to an alarmingly low amount of handknit socks... it's true! I wore through a lot of my socks last winter. Soles have disintegrated, a few pairs have even gotten felted in a few careless loads of laundry. All of the sudden I'm feeling a little panicky and like I need to crank out a pair (or ten).

What is a great way to jump start Socktober? Well with the Through the Loops Mystery Sock Knit-along of course! I cast on during naptime this afternoon and didn't get up until I finished clue #1 on both socks. I've never knit two socks at once. I am really liking this concept though, because then they'll both move along and one won't be lolligaging around waiting for a mate for weeks months to come.

I'm not doing two socks on one magic loop... but two socks on their own magic loop. I'm also not alternating row by row, but section by section. I think I'd get mixed up if I did it row by row. If all goes well, I might knit my socks like this from now own.

So this post kicks off the month of Socktober and my love for all things handknit-socks! I hope to post more in the coming weeks about my progress and about other fun things as well... my favorite sock yarns, sock needles, sock patterns, good shoes to wear with knitted socks, stash flash, sock drawer stash... let the fun begin! I hope you'll be working on some socks this month as well.... Happy Socktober, my friends.

4 comments:

CelticCastOn said...

yay for socktoberfest! Love the yarn your using for your mystery socks, they will be great!

Twisted Knitter said...

Awesome yarn choice for the KAL -- I'm coveting!

I also like your method of knitting two at once -- good idea1

IowaKnitter said...

My Adult Ed class next session (4 weeks from mid-Jan to mid-Feb) will be Socks--toe up & 2-at-a-time. Obviously, Magic Loop or 2 circs.

essjay said...

I can't wait to see how many pairs of socks you can get knit this month! I put on wool socks this morning because the temperature dropped so I see more hand knit socks in my future too!