Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I have woodstove envy.

Seriously... I want a woodstove. It's definitely on my must-have list when we do buy a house here in Maine. We looked at a house a few months ago that had a big huge new Vermont Castings wood stove in the kitchen and it was amazing. I wanted to buy the house just because of the wood stove. Too bad that was the only amazing thing about the house.

We went for a little drive this morning in the rain after dropping big brother off at the bus stop and there are many woodstoves warming their houses today. It's a chilly, rainy, dark, moody sort of day... perfect for October. A witchy day, indeed.

Mainers know how to prepare for winter... that and I think most actually like winter. It's probably because there are things to do here in the winter. Mainers seem to know how to have fun in the winter... skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, etc etc. I haven't been skiing since I was a little kid. I can't wait to learn again this winter.

Outside of Portland up here in the lake region and beyond, people are truly gearing up. Public works places already have mountains of sand, snow mobiles are in everyone's front yard, and the wood piles... they're impressive! Major deliveries of serious amounts of firewood. The stacks that these folks put the wood in to are impressive, too. 3x3 rotated 90 degrees every other row and build in to a wall extending from their house. It's awesome.

I can't wait to have a woodstove, a little old house in the woods, surrounded by lots and lots of quiet woods (and wool), a quiet and simple life, maybe a snowmobile or two...and some ATV's... and jet ski's... and a boat. Lots of toys.

I know I probably sound sick and twisted, but I'm actually excited for winter this year.

No comments: